Cathedral of Mary Our Queen
Archdiocese of Baltimore
In October 1954, ground was broken for the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen in North Baltimore. Dedicated in 1959, the contemporary Gothic structure was made possible through the generous bequest by Mr. Thomas O’Neill, a Baltimore businessman. The day after the Cathedral’s groundbreaking ceremony, His Holiness, Pope Pius XII, issued a world letter instituting May 31 as the feast of Mary as Queen to be celebrated throughout the entire world. The pope’s decree honoring Mary led to a decision to name the new cathedral after Our Lady’s Heavenly Coronation as Queen. On the morning of October 13, 1959, a few days past the fifth anniversary of the groundbreaking ceremony, the Cathedral was solemnly consecrated. In an elaborate ritual that dates back, in part, to primitive Christianity and flavored richly by the Old Testament, Baltimore’s Auxiliary Bishop, Jerome D. Sebastian, consecrated the regal building to divine worship. The official dedication occurred on Nov. 15. In 1995, the Cathedral was honored by a visit from His Holiness, Pope John Paul II. A plaque outside the Blessed Sacrament Chapel and photos in the narthex commemorate the visit. The Pope celebrated Mass in the Archdiocese at Oriole Park at Camden Yards and visited both the Cathedral and the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
5200 N. Charles Street, Baltimore, United States of America