Cathedral St. Dunstan's
Diocese of Charlottetown
In 1812 bishop Plessis from Quebec ordered to build a church in Charlottetown to be dedicated to St. Dunstan of Canterbury. It was erected in 1816 and twice enlarged before 1829 when the church became the Cathedral for the first Bishop of Charlottetown, Most Rev. Angus MacEachern. Bishop MacEachern was an extraordinary missionary who pastorally served the Catholics of Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick and Magdalene Islands.
In 1843 the old church was replaced by a wooden structure. And this one was replaced in 1986 by a large imposing cathedral in stone. However in the winter of 1913 all was lost when fire reduced it to ashes.
The present beautiful structure was built in 1919 and ten years later was raised to the dignity of a basilica.
- Central America
- North America
- South America
Weekdays & Saturdays: 8:00 to 17:00
Times of Liturgical Celebrations
Saturday Morning: 9:00AM
Saturday Vigil: 5:00PM
Sunday: 10:30AM & 5:00PM
Weekdays: 12:05PM Mon-Fri
Hours for Confession
Tue & Thur: 11AM- 12PM
Saturday: 3:30PM-4:30PM Also by appointment
Our Father's Perpetual Eucharistic Adoration Chapel
(Located at back of Basilica on Dorchestor Street.)
45 Great George Street, Charlottetown, Canada