Shrine Our Lady Queen of the Lakes
Diocese of Vitebsk
The first reliable information about the church in Braslau belongs to the XV century, when the church under the title of Mother of God was built on the Castle Hill. Many times the church building was destroyed. After the last fire in 1794 for 20 years the prayer service took place in a barn. In 1824, at the foot of Castle Hill, there was built a new stone building. Since the shrine was too small in 1897 was built a new one. In 1950 the communist authorities closed the temple and appointed it under the granary, but two years later the building was returned tothe parishioners. In 1967 the church - an architectural monument of Romanesque style - was restored.
In the main altar of the Braslau church is a miraculous icon of Our Lady of Braslau. In 1999, the diocesan bishop of the newly formed Diocese of Vitebsk Wladyslaw Blin announced Braslau church under the title of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary the sanctuary of Our Lady Queen of the Lakes.
August 22, 2009 Braslau parish Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary was going through the majestic and important event - the coronation of papal crowns the miraculous icon of the Mother of God Queen of the Lakes. Archbishop of Cologne Cardinal Joachim Meisner led the coronation of Our Lady Queen of the Lakes.
Clearlake, CA 95422, Braslau, Belarus