Cathedral of St. Peter
Diocese of Rockford
In 1915 a small framed chapel was constructed in the Auburndale subdivision in Rockford.
The chapel was dedicated to St.William and was utilized as a mission for the north end of St. Mary's Parish in downtown Rockford .
In 1920, the summit of Council Hill (or Piety Hill), reputedly the highest spot in Rockford, was purchased for a new parish. In 1921 building began on a combination church and school on Court Street.
As the parish continued to expand and grow, property was acquired on the east side of Church Street and construction began on a new church and rectory. The cornerstone for the new church was blessed by Bishop Lane in August of 1958 and the church was dedicated on May 15, 1960.
On October 11, 1970, Bishop O'Neill designated St. Peter as the cathedral for the diocese. The formal dedication of St. Peter Cathedral was October 11, 1978.
A new altar and sanctuary in St. Peter Cathedral were dedicated on September 29, 1998 by His Eminence Francis Cardinal George from the Chicago Archdiocese.
1243 N. Church Street, Rockford, Estados Unidos de América