St. Joseph Cathedral
Buffalo's first bishop, John Timon, established St. Joseph's in 1847 to be the new diocese's cathedral. Because of the economic situation in the city he raised funds to build the church while he was in Europe. New York architect Patrick C. Keely, who had worked with A. W. N. Pugin, was chosen to design the new church. The cornerstone was laid on February 6, 1851. Although the original plans called for two towers on the north and south ends of the facade; only the south tower was built. The Cathedral's tower contained a 43-bell carillon that was made by Bollee & Son, in Le Mans France. At the time of its completion in 1869, the clarion was the largest in America and the third largest in the world. It was determined that a new cathedral was necessary in Buffalo and so property was bought by Bishop James Quigley at Delaware Avenue and Utica Street beginning in 1902. Italian architect Aristide Leonori designed a new Gothic Revival cathedral. The New St. Joseph Cathedral was constructed from 1912 to 1915, and this church became known as St. Joseph's Old Cathedral. Major repairs had to be made to the north and south transepts in 1924 and the towers were removed in 1927. The exterior marble started to separate from the brick and Bishop Edward D. Head determined in 1976 that repairs would be too costly for the "new" St. Joseph's and the diocese. In 1977 after the demolition of the new cathedral, this "old cathedral" once again became known as St. Joseph's Cathedral.
50 Franklin Sreet, Buffalo, Estados Unidos de América