St. Mary's Star of the Sea Cathedral
Catholic Diocese of Darwin, NT Australia
ST. MARY’S STAR OF THE SEA CATHEDRAL HISTORY
In the Northern Territory Times of 15 July 1882 it was reported that “Two Roman Catholic priests of the Order of the Sacred Heart …came ashore and baptised some young children belonging to Catholic families”
This is the first record of activity of the Church in Darwin.
In September 1882, four Jesuit priests, led by Fr Anthony Strele, established a Catholic Mission Station, and within a few years built a church on the site of the current Presbytery.
The existing Cathedral grew out of a need for a new and larger church, as Darwin grew after the end of the 2nd World War.
St Mary’s Star of the Sea is a War Memorial Cathedral. The first sod was turned in December 1957; the foundation stone was laid in July 1958 by Most Rev J P O’Loughlin MSC; the official opening, with solemn blessing by Bishop O’Loughlin took place on 19 August 1962.
90 Smith Str. , GPO Box No. 229, Darwin, NT, Australia, Darwin, Australia