St Peter's Cathedral Church
Diocese of Lancaster
The Diocese of Lancaster was founded in 1924 to oversee the Catholic population of Lancashire, Cumberland and Westmorland (now Cumbria); the southern regions were formally part of the Diocese of Liverpool, while the northern belonged to the Diocese of Hexham and Newcastle. The impressive size and relative grandeur of St Peter's Church lent itself to its new role as a Cathedral, with only minor changes required. The original Cathedra (bishop's throne), was placed beyond the north set of choir stalls near the High Altar. It is now situated in the north transept. The choir stalls were refurbished with the back rank receiving a new high back, and the marble floor of the chancel was renewed. An altar wall with decorative metalwork was placed behind the original low stone wall which marked out the sanctuary.
St Peter's Cathedral Church is an active city-centre parish and a place of prayer.
Balmoral Road, Lancaster , Lancaster , Reino Unido