Cathedral of St. Peter in Chains
Archdiocese of Cincinnati
Dedicated in 1845, St. Peter in Chains Cathedral is an outstanding example of the Greek Revival style of architecture. The design of the building faithfully incorporates features of several classic Athenian buildings. Its striking steeple, constructed entirely of pure white limestone, is 221 feet above street level.
By 1950 the old cathedral had fallen into disrepair and plans were made to restore and expand the old cathedral. Great care was given to preserving the original architectural style of the building while adding the transepts (Baptistry and the Blessed Sacrament Chapel) and a completely new sanctuary. The rededication of the cathedral took place in 1957, 112 years after the original dedication.
Some of the outstanding features of the cathedral include: 600 tons of marble put into the restored cathedral, a monumental mosaic depicting Christ reigning in glory which is made of Venetian glass accentuated by a gold background made by infusing glass 24-karat gold, and the style used for the stations of the cross are scenes borrowed from that used in ancient Greek paintings on pottery.
325 West Eighth Street, Cincinnati, Vereinigte Staaten von Amerika