Puerta de la Misericordia: América del Norte
Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
The parish of Saint Francis Xavier is the oldest in Indiana, with parish records beginning in 1749. The foundation of the present church was laid in 1826. The first four bishops of the Diocese of Vincennes are buried in the crypt. The church was elevated to the rank of minor basilica in 1970.
Divine Mercy Parish was established in 2003 with the merger of 2 parishes in Bellevue, KY: Sacred Heart (founded 1874) and St. Anthony (founded 1889). We continue to use Sacred Heart Church, which is an impressive and beautiful example of sacred architecture, built in 1892.
The Cathedral church of Hamilton Diocese dates from 1933 and is built in a classical Gothic style. It was named for Christ the King, a feast that had been added to the universal calendar by Pope Pius XI in 1925. In 2013, the Cathedral of Christ the King received status as a Minor Basilica.
The Cathedral is a Gothic Church constructed between 1853 and 1855. It was first opened for worship on Christmas Eve 1855. After the steeple and side chapels were added, it was consecrated on July 16, 1885.
The present St. Dunstan's Church was opened in 1965. It was built on the same property as the original Cathedral of New Brunswick which was also named St. Dunstan's when it was built in 1843.
Palm Beach Gardens
Completed in 1963, the church contains shrines to its patron, St. Francis, and to St. John Paul II, who established the Diocese of Metuchen in November 1981. The shrines feature statues made exclusively for the church, along with relics of the saints.
Built over a fifty-five year period, the cathedral was dedicated on 19 October 1954. In 1995, Pope John Paul II celebrated vespers in the presence of the President of the United States. He later raised the cathedral to the dignity of a minor basilica.
The Church dates back to 1820, and was open to the public in 1829. It has the tallest polished free-standing granite spire in North America. Survived the Halifax Explosion in 1917. Elevated to status of minor Basilica in 1950. In 1984, welcome his Holiness Pope John Paul II.